In the early 1930’s in the US there were a large number of persons still unemployed as a result of the Stock Market Crash of 1929 and President Roosevelt felt that there should be a way to help those unemployed and the country at the same time. The people around the President came up with the idea of the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935 and from it came the Works Progress Administration or WPA. This was later renamed as the Works Projects Administration.
This project was set up to use those unemployed to build government sponsored projects, such as parks, road-side stops, roads, and certain buildings. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_Progress_Administration for more information on just what they did, but my thought is that a number of countries around the world should take a look at what they did and how it helped the US recover from the great depression.
All around the world we hear of how more and more people are on unemployment, but the governments are only paying out the minimum, and sometimes nothing, which is not helping the people and thereby the government. By putting these people to work constructively they would actually be getting something in return for the money they give away. By creating these jobs, other businesses would be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor/labour and keep the currencies in circulation. Only by keep the money going around do they create more incentive for more businesses creating more work which would keep the people happy and paying more taxes which the government could use to help more people, etc.
I know from my father, who was one of the millions who were helped by the WPA that he and his family were able to live and eat every day. He was the oldest of 7 and the head of the household as his father had died when he was 12. He showed me a number of beautiful road side parking spots that had views that you wanted to stop and enjoy, that he and others had worked on.
Wouldn’t it be nice if all these unemployed were working on something constructive again? Maybe there wouldn’t be such a huge immigration to other countries where the migratory workers think they can earn more money then at home. This would also help the countries they migrate to, in lowering their unemployment rate. And then the circle begins anew in helping the world get out of this current depression.
I know they are not calling it that but what else can you call it when all the countries in the world are having a problem with rising unemployment and a devaluation of their currencies. What do you think would happen if we could all work again?
- Bevis Longstreth: Works Progress Administration II (huffingtonpost.com)
- Questions and answers on unemployment (talkingunion.wordpress.com)
- Hard vs. soft immigration enforcement (politico.com)
- Gallup: Unemployed Americans Face Challenging Job Search (bespacific.com)
- Jobs Available But Unemployed Have Wrong Skills (patspapers.com)
- Lesson Plan of The Day – Us Government – The Great Depression (socyberty.com)
- What was a cause of developing a second new deal (wiki.answers.com)
- Unemployment Insurance Taxes Rising Dramatically — Scarcity of Jobs Forces Tax Rates to Continue Rising in the Coming Year and Beyond (prweb.com)
- The Double Whammy: Unemployed And Underwater (npr.org)