As of this moment every car in the world uses a lead battery to make sure that the car can continue to run, as long as it is recharged during use. The world is running out of oil which means that the gas will run out. Because of this, a number of cars have been developed that run on electric power.
This power requires a number of batteries to supply enough power for the electric motor to run as long as they can. Right now the batteries being used are based on the old lead – acid type. The lead weighs so much that the electric cars have to move the extra weight which decreases the distance they can run. This is normally 30 kilometers or 15 miles
Another type of car being developed is the Hybrid car. It uses a smaller gasoline engine to drive a generator to charge the batteries but also when there is enough power in the batteries then only the electric drive takes over. It also helps to regenerate power when the brakes are applied and when going downhill and when coasting. This can raise the distance for the car to 1000 kilometers or 600 miles, which really is a long distance. But it will still rely on gasoline as fuel to keep going.
What is needed is a new type of battery where it is much lighter, saves more energy (electricity) and lasts much, much longer. It is not only a requirement for here on Earth but would increase the ability for space travel to save power for periods when the main power supply goes down, for some unknown reason.
As is well known, the more weight you add to vehicle which is attempting to leave earths gravitational pull the more energy is required. The more fuel you add to increase the energy is more weight which needs more energy which ……….
If we are to develop a space vehicle we will first need a new type of battery as stated above. Again we need to think outside the box, which we created, to find the answer. Someone, somewhere, sometime will come up with it but are we being generated enough to develop it?
- Battery technology could impede electric car uptake (money.marksandspencer.com)
- Problems with the Disposal of Electric Vehicle Batteries (brighthub.com)
- How do hybrids cars work? (hybridsrilanka.wordpress.com)
- MIT creates new energy source (billhubbell.wordpress.com)
- Method used to charge a hybrid car batteries (wiki.answers.com)
- Plug – in Hybrid Cars: A Cheaper Alternative (athingforcars.com)
- Research into batteries will give electric cars the same range as petrol cars (physorg.com)
- “Lithium Battery Industry Keeps Going, And Going …” and related posts (wnyc.org)
- Hybrid Gas Electric Car From 1900 (neatorama.com)
- Wheels: A Second Life for the Electric Car Battery (wheels.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Whoa! What Just Happened to My Stock? (fool.com)
- Evolution of Electric Cars (mgitecetech.wordpress.com)
- The Future of Energy Special Report (theatlantic.com)
- Increasing gas prices stir worry in drivers (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Op-Ed Contributor: Electric Avenue (nytimes.com)
- A 261-MPG Shuttle to the Future (wired.com)
- Battery New Technology – A battery that can turn sound waves into electricity (bestbatteryshops.typepad.com)